PERFECTLY IMPERFECT-I may not be the best at what I do, but Nobody has MORE fun trying than I do! :)



Friday, February 12, 2010

Ink Experiment Gone Awry...

Leah, who hosts the Creative Every Day challenge, creates wonderful paintings with poured ink shapes. A few months ago I decided to try it. I took a piece of damp 300 lb water color paper and poured and dribbled black and red Sumi ink all over it and left it to dry. It dried into the pale wash in the background. I didn't see any images that I wanted to build on, so I poured more black ink on top and left that to dry. Sumi ink does not dry fast if you apply it very thick. The piece you see above is what I came out with. I still didn't see anything I wanted to build a painting on. So...


after a few days of studying it, I got up the nerve to spray it with water, which dissolved the black Sumi ink, causing it to run and spread all over the paper. I then dropped vermilion and indigo watercolor into the ink and around it, and tilted the paper this way and that to create what you see in piece #2 above. Left it to dry. Still nothing popped out. Hated it...


After a couple of months of trying to figure out how to fix it, I decided that I couldn't make it any worse, so day before yesterday I decided to pour India ink, which is permanant, on it. It was dried up, so I poured some more Sumi ink over it and let it run into shapes. I helped it by tilting the paper and I dried it with a blow dryer. I kind of liked it with this layer on it, but it needed more red, so I poured some red Sumi ink on it. Of course, when the wet red hit the dried black, it re-activated it and they ran together, creating some unusual effects. Still nothing came to me...

Yesterday I gave up on the ink and got out my fluid acrylics. I dribbled blue, red, yellow, green-gold and finally white, tapping the edges of the paper on the table to give them shapes and runs. Before they were quite dry, I sprayed the whole piece with water, stood it on edge, and left it to dry. The water re-activated what ink was still showing, causing it merge with some of the acrylics. I wish all the tiny lines of paint/ink had showed up in the scan. Anyway, what I have now is piece #3. Still not crazy about it, and it certainly looks NOTHING remotely resembling what Leah created, so now what...

5 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

lol - I've always loved those poured paint paintings, and I've Never been able to come close to what I see others do. It just remains a mystery to me. I gave up and decided it just wasn't meant to be for me. Good for you for hanging in there! nancy

raena said...

At least you didn't give up! Oh, and I see panda bears in that top one! And a face, and a candle! I've never tried this experiment before, but it looks fun to try.

mariasangel said...

i think it would make a fabulous "urban grunge" type background! Maybe journal on it in a white paint marker, or stamp on it in white paint with foam stamps...

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh i love it!
it looks like a group of people in a crowd!
so wonderful!

Happy Valentine's Day!
♥ Melissa & Emmitt

Dianne said...

I agree with urban grunge. It would look great journaled with a white pen.