PERFECTLY IMPERFECT-I may not be the best at what I do, but Nobody has MORE fun trying than I do! :)



Sunday, June 7, 2009

My China Cabinet Doesn't Just Hold China...

These are a handful of the hundreds of drawings that are works in progress in my dining room/studio. They are the last couple of weeks quirky doodle drawings that are propped up in my china cabinet drawer and against it where I can look at them...and they can look back. :)

I thought this morning that it looks like I'm working on illustrations for a children's book. Maybe that's what they'll turn into. Who knows? ;)

I've been doing these since April 2008, at least one a day, sometimes two or three. I have several sketchbooks filled and lots of loose ones. Some are still only pencil line drawings. The rest are in various stages of painting, mostly watercolor for now. Some need fine tuning. A few may be finished. We'll see.

Each one has a story that I look forward to telling in the next phase. As much as I've loved the challenge of pulling images out of doodle marks, I feel the pull to change directions and do something else for a while. I will never stop doing these, because I've learned so much from them and they are so relaxing to do.

I've gained confidence in drawing and watercolor, and most of all I've learned to relax and have fun with art. I've stopped trying to be perfect. I'm just trying to be "me."

These little doodles serve many purposes aside from paintings. I look forward to turning them into illustrations/stories, but some will become patterns for oil paintings, some will be turned into stamps or linoleum block print patterns, some will become greeting cards, a few will become part of a collage, I would love to make some prints if I can find out how, and I'm sure I'll think of other projects to include them in. Every time I look back through the sketchbooks I am inspired by endless possibilities. It has definitely not been time wasted.

Their journey won't stop here. They have given me tremendous pleasure and challenges over the past year or so, and I look forward to sharing whatever direction my art journey takes me on, whether it includes doodling or not.

Thanks so much for your visits and comments. You help and inspire me so much. Hope my art attempts continue to make you smile. :)

5 comments:

LadyTulip said...

Oh!! -- Kiddo, I know what you mean!! My top shelf in my antique hutch is starting to sag down because of the weight of all my canvases...I'm afraid it's gonna break apart one of these days!!

Yup -- an' doesn't it feel good jus' doing the ART, an' no longer trying to be "Perfect"!!

Love lookin' at all your things!!

L.

Archie and Melissa said...

hi sharon!
oh what a wonderful post and photo! i love seeing them all together. i cannot wait to see all the new things you will create. so inspiring!
melissa

Tamarak said...

Hi Sharon

Wow...you have been busy!
Love your paintings!

I find, too...the more I do the more it flows...

Carolyn said...

I just love propping up my paintings around the room and sneaking a peek at them every time I walk by...such a good feeling to know I'm producing work. But...no paintings for me lately. I am up to my ears working on enameled jewelry...getting ready for a sale in a couple of weeks when I go to my next dulcimer music festival. I'm glad to see all of your work there...sounds like you've been really busy lately.

soulbrush said...

love that these things are 'with you' all the time. i am going to add you to my list of favourites to visit more often. love your stuff.